1. Votes: Obenshain 2,900, Herring 2,000. Waynesboro strongly supported the three Republican candidates with little difference in the totals for each. We need to remember that Waynesboro can provide the margin of victory to Republican candidates in the future.
2. As a result of the re-count, Obenshain gained 1 vote.
3. All the ballots we reviewed showed that voters cast their votes on a straight Party-line basis. There were no split ballots.
4. First conclusion: It was a mistake for Ken Cuccinelli, EW Jackson and Mark Obenshain to run separate campaigns. Since voters cast Party-line ballots, a united ticket would have been stronger.
5. Second conclusion: Since voting was based almost entirely on Party identification, the key to winning is getting out the vote.